Our history

The Millebuis name was created by La Cave des Vignerons de Buxy, it was born from the resolve of winegrowers of the Côte Chalonnaise wishing to unify with a common aim: to vinify, mature and commercialise their wines as one. It is a saga that began some 80 years ago and which has gradually transformed into an exceptional human achievement.
Today this name represents 120 winegrowing families who cultivate the vineyards using skills and techniques transmitted from generation to generation. Together these men and women stand up for the values that emphasize quality and respect of the environment. By the fruit of their labour, their passion and their attachment to the land, these winegrowers have shown they can reveal the true potential of their terroirs.
The regrouping of these small family holdings (on average 20 hectares of vines per family) which are driven by the same values of solidarity, sharing and conviviality, has given birth to a highly proficient production tool.
The culture of the vine and the harvest of the grapes require multiple skills. The objective is the creation of wines that reflect the excellence of the terroirs of the Côte Chalonnaise.


Some key dates of our history

1931
The organization known as La Cave des Vignerons de Buxy was created on June 30th 1931 under the lead of 98 pioneering winegrowers from Buxy and the neighbouring communes. They had decided to unite in order to find a collective solution to their problems of vinification, storage and sales. Building of a winery with a capacity of 800,000 litres was started although it was not finished for the first harvest - and the crop had to come in. Furthermore financial means were limited…

It was only the courage and tenacity of these pioneers that made it possible for the cooperative to function. Thus, for the first, time sales of their wine in bottles could begin.

1936

Recognition of the Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée “Montagny” by the decree of Sept.11th 1936. It was one of the first Appellations to be officially recognized.

1945
The winery often had problems finding the room to store all of the wine harvested. Even if the yields were very irregular (1,600,000 litres in 1935 compared to 513,000 litres in 1938!)

1950

Mechanisation began to appear in the Côte Chalonnaise with the first vineyard tractors replacing horses on the hillsides. It was also the disappearance of clogs and hob-nail boots as footwear!

1968
Roger Rageot was named managing director of La Cave des Vignerons de Buxy. The board of directors thus employed the first MD giving him the task of running the winery and developing wine sales in bottles in order to highlight the co-op members’ production. It was a particularly difficult market.

1977
On January 24th 1977, another winery; la Cave de Saint-Gengoux-le-National merged with La Cave des Vignerons de Buxy. From this date on, their production zone covered the Côte Chalonnaise and spread into the Mâconnais.

1985
The management and the board of directors were facing the problem of improving quality upstream. From 1985, they decided to set up technical commissions and a pre-harvest selection system for vine quality. This system allowed a payment differentiation according to the potential quality, as noted in the vineyards just before harvest. Over the years this system has been expanded and reinforced.

Today
The winery is heading towards its centenary celebration. What evolution! What progress in wine quality and in all aspects of vineyard conservation!